Well, I spent the afternoon working on the bug. I installed some new to me seats that I got awhile back. They are in better shape than mine and look pretty good. Removing and installing seats in a bug is simple. Here are some pics.
They look pretty good. I have a perfect back seat that was recovered before I bought the bug and I don't want to mess it up because it looks so good so I think I am going to get another back seat and use the cover that I have that matches the front seats on that. I am in dire need of some new carpet now that the seats look good. I guess my birthday is coming up. Maybe if I'm really nice to Dixie she will get a carpet kit for me.
While the seats were out I cleaned up the floorboards and truly found a treasure. The seat belt releases originally had some white handles on them and here you can see mine are missing.
I couldn't believe I found both of them. They cleaned up like new and I installed them back on to the release levers. Here they are.
I was able to get the rear decklid seal put on today and install an antennae I had sitting around for a long time. While I was up front I cleaned out my trunk and made an emergency kit to put in there with common things that go out on a bug. It still looks a little shabby but not bad for a 42 year old car.
It won't be long until this picture might be a common site.