Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Stars must have aligned!

I started checking out bus routes and what bus fare is nowadays because 3 of the 4 cars we have were down for the count. The new transmission that was installed in my truck was throwing a code and surging on the freeway, Tugger the baja was down still with the engine and pedal cluster removed and Ed the bug was running horribly and about ready to die. I figured it was time to do something about the collapse in our transportation. I swore when I got off my mission I wouldn't ride the bus again! Anyways this picture was when ed was running good and I needed to get some mulch for the trees in our yard. The roof rack came in handy. The truck is full of scrap metal and I didn't want to remove it.

I was able to get the truck into the dealer to replace a pressure switch inside the trans that apparently didn't like to perform and I was able to pick it up on Friday. Woo Hoo, things were looking up. I had at least 1 of my cars drivable. Anyways it was now Saturday morning and I decided to try to get the other 2 bugs running. Earlier I had replaced the transmission input shaft seal and the throwout bearing. 
 While I was doing that, I noticed that the transmission mounts were shot. You shouldn't be able to lift the transaxle like this. That meant a trip back to Bob's VW to purchase some trans mounts.
 I replaced the mounts and put some grease on the input shaft. The trans side of the bug was ready for the engine to be installed. I also put the pedal cluster back in the bug and hooked up the clutch cable.
Now it was time to look at the engine side of things. I removed the clutch and flywheel to replace an o-ring that I didn't replace the first time I had the motor out. I reinstalled the flywheel and got it ready to install the clutch.
 Here is the clutch going in. Remember to install it with the nipple side facing out like this picture shows.
The pressure plate was next. You need to align the clutch when you put it on. I suggest getting an alignment tool. It works perfect and they are very inexpensive. I ran into a snag while I was doing this. I had all but 1 bolt finger tight and noticed the threads on the last bolt were really buggered up. I borrowed a tap and die from a buddy and cleaned up the threads on the bolt and the flex plate and installed the bolt.
 Here's everything torqued up and ready to be installed. Just need to get the engine put in now.
 I installed the engine and gave it a test drive before I put the bumper on just in case I had to remove it again for some reason. It fired right up and drove great.
 With the test drive completed, I installed the bumper and drove it around again for kicks. It drives good and shifts good. I forgot how obnoxious the sound from this engine makes but was quickly reminded with a romp of the gas pedal.
2 down, 1 to go. I figured Ed just needed a tune up and he needed this deck lid popped out to help him stay cool in this hot weather so I went to work. ( I actually did ed first then tugger. That's why tugger still has his bumper on top.)
I adjusted the valves first because the engine was cold. I have shown this many times in the blog so if you want to know how look at some previous posts. I installed some new valve cover gaskets because I had a small leak here.

 A points adjustment was next. I think this was the whole problem because the dwell was WAY off. I got the dwell on perfect and did a quick timing adjustment and he was running like a top!
 I installed the deck lid extenders and Ed was good to go.
So, I guess the stars aligned on my automobiles this weekend. I can't remember the last time all the cars were running at one time. I guess it's time to take Dixie out on a well deserved date while everything is running. Who knows how long that will last! I just need to find a babysitter now.

No comments: